THE PIONEER FIRE COMPANY No.1  
MARIETTA , PENNSYLVANIA  
 
       "THE STORY GOES"        THAT A VERY SERIOUS FIRE DESTROYED NEARLY A BLOCK OF FRAME HOUSES ALONG FRONT STREET IN MARIETTA, IN OR ABOUT THE YEAR 1838. THIS STARTED THE MOVEMENT TO ORGANIZE A FIRE COMPANY FOR THE COMMUNITY.    

          IN THE EARLY SPRING OF 1840 A GROUP OF CITIZENS MET "IN THE INTEREST OF FIRE PREVENTION AND FIRE FIGHTING".   THEY APPLIED FOR A STATE ACT OF INCORPORATION UNDER THE NAME OF THE PIONEER FIRE COMPANY OF MARIETTA .                  OLD FIRE BELL 

       THE FIRST CORPORATE MEETING WAS HELD IN JANUARY OF 1841, WITH JOHN L. LIBHART BEING ELECTED THE FIRST PRESIDENT.  

       A NEW TWO MAN HAND PUMPER WAS PURCHASED AND  HOUSED ON APRIL 24, 1841 IN THE BUILDING THAT CURRENTLY SERVES AS THE BOROUGH OFFICES . 

       THE NEXT PIECE OF EQUIPMENT PURCHASED WAS A USED SUCTION TYPE PUMP ON JUNE 16, 1869.  

       IN 1872 THE COMPANY ADDED A SILSBY ROTARY STEAM ENGINE AND A HOOK AND LADDER.  

       AS THE YEARS PROGRESSED, THE COMPANY PURCHASED A "CHEMICAL" TRUCK IN 1920.  

       IN 1927 THEY RECEIVED A ROTARY PUMP, MOTORIZED BY MEMBERS OF THE COMPANY, AND WAS USED UNTIL DECEMBER OF 1959.  

       IN 1946, THE COMPANY RECEIVED A TWO STAGE CENTRIFUGAL, 750 GALLON PER MINUTE, AMERICAN LA FRANCE PUMPER.  

       MOVING UP TO JUNE 4, 1960, THE COMPANY PURCHASED A HOWE PUMPER, MOUNTED ON AN INTERNATIONAL CHASSIS.       

       IN 1969 THE COMPANY PURCHASED A SQUAD TRUCK, ALONG WITH A BUILDING LOT, THAT WAS LOCATED ON NORTH LOCUST STREET, OFF OF WATERFORD AVENUE. CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW BUILDING WAS STARTED IN OCTOBER OF 1974, AND COMPLETED IN APRIL OF 1975.  

       THE BUILDING WAS DEDICATED ON MAY 31, 1975 AND THIS WAS THE FIRST MOVE THAT THE COMPANY MADE SINCE IT WAS FORMED IN 1840.  

       TODAY THE FIRE COMPANY BOASTS OF STATE OF THE ART FIRE FIGHTING EQUIPMENT, INCLUDING A MINI-ATTACK TRUCK, ENGINE, SUPER-TANKER, AND SQUAD TRUCK.   AS WELL AS A BOAT AND RIVER RESCUE EQUIPMENT.  

       THE FIRE HOUSE ALSO SERVES AS MASS CASUALTY RECEPTION CENTER AND EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER FOR THE BOROUGH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY.  
 

by Stephen M. Bailey 
 
 

 
 
 Back to Detailed History and Facts of Marietta